Frequently Asked Questions
I want to get my child involved in music groups, how do I get started?
We have a wide variety of services to meet the needs of many families! Join us for a drop-in community music group, register for a 6-week specialty kids class, or fill out our specialized group form to develop a local group with your friends!
Can I drop-in to a music group?
Yes! We offer drop-in options at many of our music groups. Families can drop-in to these groups at any time with no prior registration. (** During the Covid-19 pandemic, registration IS required prior to dropping in for a group.) Each group has it's own drop-in rate. Some groups may still offer a discount for purchasing multiple groups.
Do you offer any groups on weekends?
Yes! While we consider work/life balance to be very important, we also love to make our groups accessible to many families in the community. Our current weekend schedule includes...
Check the calendar for other weekend events & groups!
How do I get my child enrolled in music therapy sessions?
We are always eager to meet new families! To begin the process, fill out our Initial Music Therapy Inquiry form. This form can be found at www.steppingstoneskc.com/mtservices. We will email you to answer any follow-up questions and to schedule an assessment session.
Is my child too young/old for these services?
NO!! Stepping Stones KC provides services for children of all ages, birth - age 18. We even provide services for some adults. At Stepping Stones KC, our Board-Certified Music Therapists are trained to design & adapt age-appropriate music interventions for all clients and group participants.
What does "inclusive" mean?
For our purpses, inclusive is an adjective describing our efforts to provide services that are accessible to all children & families. Our groups never seek an apology for natural human behavior. This can look like a lot of things!
Some families will understandably have concerns about "exposing" their children to potentially unpredictable behaviors, but we urge you to give inclusivity a try, trust the professionals, and ask questions! Our teachers will seek to include all children, validate engagement at various appropriate levels, and will address necessary challenges with behavior in a way that makes expectations clear to all participants. In providing inclusive opportunities, we teach children the language necessary to interact with peers in a firm, but friendly way. We are all human. We all have days where we struggle to regulate our emotions or communicate effectively. We all have days where we struggle to work with someone or to transition from a preferred activity. We can teach the next generation to deal with peers calmly & kindly regardless of the social environment.
Where are you located?
We do not have a physical location, like an office or storefront. We are traveling service providers. We work in Johnson County, Kansas and surrounding areas like Kansas City, Lee's Summit, and Louisburg. Our sessions are typically held in home or school settings and our groups can be found at a wide variety of community partner locations.
- Check our CALENDAR tab for a location "address book"
What precautions are you taking during the Covid-19 pandemic?
1) We offer online options for all services.
2) Environment. All in-person services that can be held outside will be, weather permitting. For any services that are indoors, our staff will be wearing masks. Being out in the fresh air allows us to maintain distance from each other. Being outdoors in the fresh air will also greatly decrease the risk of sharing/spreading germs.
4) Registration Required. We are allowing for a maximum of 6 children per group. All participants must register for group in advance. We will not have many opportunities for drop-ins. Participants that miss classes will still have access to makeup classes or pro-rated sessions in the future.
5) Community Responsibility. We need your help keeping our in-person services safe for everyone involved. Please DO NOT sign up for groups if you will be traveling within two weeks of a group. DO NOT come to group if you are sick. This should be a given, regardless of the current circumstances. Please exercise community respect and responsibility. We will make sure participants get their worth from the groups, even if you are unable to attend.
Thanks for your understanding. If you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to email us at SteppingStonesKC@gmail.com